Approaches To Counseling in The Post Pandemic World A Conclave for School Counselors
Setting the context to the workshop:
With the pandemic receding, schools are now ready to receive students back into the classrooms. The last two years has seen a massive disruption at multiple levels in the field of education. Mental health issues have emerged as a primary concern that has impacted the quality of learning. In the context of the new normal scenario, schools and classrooms are witnessing increased behavioral, emotional, and cognitive challenges connected to students. Some examples of these challenges are reduced intrinsic motivation, mood swings, test anxiety, suicidal ideations, or even violent behaviors displayed by students. School counselors despite being trained and investing their best efforts are still struggling with the new realities. In the current scenario, taking the responsibility to reach out, counsel, and mentor the students would require reframing and upskilling of counselors as professionals. It is evident that new career opportunities would be available in the post-pandemic world. A session would be incorporated to especially support mental health professionals who are involved in career counseling in educational institutions.
The current workshop therefore asset the following objectives:
- To provide a space to reflect on the mental health issues in the current context
- To identify strategies that could empower counselors to face the professional challenges
- To provide an opportunity to upskill and retrain counselors with specific essential micro-skills in the post-pandemic world
- To discuss the career options available in the post-pandemic world
Who can join the workshop?
These sessions would be beneficial to anyone who hails from the domain of mental health and is associated with schools Especially, school counselors and school psychologists, and even teachers who are working as champions for mental health. We would like to focus on schools located in the states of Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh.
What are key takeaways?
At the end of the two-day workshop, the participants would be
- better equipped to deal with the professional challenges effectively in the post-pandemic
- upskilled with specific micro-skills that could be beneficial in counseling students in the new normal situation
- better prepared to face the crisis situations and focus with positivity
- to guide the students in their career pathways in the post-pandemic
- a part of a support group that would be
How is this workshop different?
- This will be a residential workshop The counselors will be provided accommodation in the guest house/ hostels of Jagran Lakecity University, Bhopal
- All sessions would be experiential, interactive, and activity-based
- Age-appropriate examples, case studies, and narratives will be utilized to enhance
- Nature walks in the morning and self-help sessions would be
- Reading lists would be shared with the participants
A glimpse into the sessions
|Day 1||Registration and Inaugural session|
|Introductions and Icebreaking session|
|Masterclass: Mental Health in the Post Pandemic world- Special reference to Schools|
|Enhancing preparedness as counselors|
|Group work and presentations|
|Essential Micro Counselling Skills in the new normal scenario: demonstration, simulation, and practice|
|Special lecture at Dinner- Career pathways in the Post Pandemic World|
|Day 2||Nature walk and self-help techniques|
|Therapy for therapist: Self Reflection|
|Masterclass: Application of therapies: A rapid catch up|
|Demonstration, simulation, and practice of select techniques|
|Open house with a wrap-up and feedback|
About the organizers
The workshop is organized by the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Humanities at Jagran Lakecity University (JLU), Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh (a Private University established under Section 2(f) of UGC Act 1956.
The Faculty of Liberal Arts and Humanities is an educational hub where students can explore human experiences through a plethora of wide-ranging subjects. It envisions being a leading faculty where students are encouraged to research, learn from experience, interact with business leaders and find solutions to real-world problems. The faculty’s holistic approach to creating, disseminating, and promoting an inclusive culture has successfully redefined educational experiences among the students.
Jagran Lakecity University Bhopal is a government-recognized and approved state private university established under Section 2(f) of UGC Act 1956, Government of India. At Jagran Lakecity University, we are committed to providing our students with a holistic environment that promotes self-awareness and competency. The university has been recognized as a Global League institution by the Great Place to Study Research Institute and ranked the No. 1 private university by Career 360. Being a practice-based university, the academics at JLU are of the highest global caliber and are committed to excellence in teaching and learning.
If you would like to take part in this event, please fill in your details in this Event Registration Form below, and you will be automatically registered.